APPLY FOR ASSESSMENT
This form will allow you to apply for assessment as a church planter by Geneva Push. You should expect to receive a reply email containing an outline of the assessment process and the preliminary documents to be filled out.
This form can also be used to request further information about the assessment process and its applicability to your situation.
You should get assessed between 12-24 months from your anticipated launch date. We encourage all our planters to spend the time preparing well before starting a new church. A long lead time gives you the option to work on areas of growth, build a launch team and begin praying for and evangelising your community.
If you are unsure whether you are a church planter, do not have a clear conviction, lack giftedness, are uncertain of what you are to do, and/or do not have a timeline in place, it would be better to not submit an application with Geneva at this time. We would encourage you to speak with your pastor about your hopes and dreams, come along to Multiply / Reach Australia (our national church planting conference), and speak with current and experienced planters, or email Geneva’s General Manager, Derek Hanna.
Assessment is not quick and easy. It takes between 15-20 hours to complete the required documentation. That’s because we care about potential planters and want to make sure they are well prepared for the hard yards ahead. There are several documents to fill in, as well as online self assessment tools, and our need to collect references from a wide range of people to consider. Applicants will also be required to submit a sermon for evaluation and prepare a detailed church-planting plan. The face to face interviews generally take place at our Multiply conference. Planting couples will be assessed by at least one experienced church planting couple and another experienced church planter.
It’s worth persevering if you intend on breaking new ground in Australia. After all, if you’re going to take on this type of ministry, you want your eyes tested not just counted. We believe this process can be invaluable for helping you do the work on the ground, whatever stage your plant is up to.
Support from generous people, organisations and churches throughout Australia mean we can provide the assessment process free of charge (the real cost is about $1,500 to $2,000). You will, however, need to pay for a few of the online self assessment tools which are not controlled by Geneva Push (about $50).
We encourage all our planted churches to invest 1% of their budget towards seeing the next generation of planters inspired, equipped and unleashed across Australia. This is not mandated BUT we’re praying all our equipped church planting couples would generously support the work (this is detailed in second stage of assessment process).
There are significant benefits that flow from being assessed as a suitable church planter by Geneva Push:
- One-to-one coaching from a proven Australian church planter for three years
- A network of planters to connect with who planted healthy churches or are breaking new ground
- Regular training events run by Geneva Push and partner networks, including the Geneva Refresh conference
- Access to exclusive resources including the Church-In-A-Box containing all of the legal and technical documents necessary for starting a new church in Australia
Here are the steps we recommend you follow in order to begin the assessment process:
- Connect with a church plant or a church planter and speak about what’s involved.
- Register for regular e-news updates from Geneva Push. Our online services assist in completing the assessment process, provide training and coaching opportunities, build community with other church planters, and keep you up to date on church planting opportunities through some of Australia’s key networks and denominations.
- Attend the Multiply/Reach Australia conference. Our National conference is an integral part of the assessment process. It provides the opportunity to have one-to-one discussions with proven ministry leaders and church planters, and it is also the primary venue for assessment interviews.
However, there are a limited number of people who can be assessed at any one conference and preference will be given to those who have notified the assessment team and submitted the appropriate documents. Apply for assessment. Use the email form above to get your name on the list.
THE ASSESSMENT PROCESS
Geneva’s vision is to see hundreds of new churches evangelised into existence across Australia. The assessment process is vital to ensuring potential planters are well prepared for the hard yards ahead. As a network we want to see planters assessed, coached and nurtured to established church planting churches that are grounded and growing, making disciples and maturing believers who make disciples.
The assessment process has essentially two phases:
- Contact Geneva Push to request an Application Form.
- Submit this, along with your resume and a recent photo at your earliest convenience.
- Complete the Lifeway Church Planter Assessment and send the reports to email@example.com. The online assessment costs about AUD$40 but is well worth it in addressing some key issues you will face in planting a church.
- Participate in a face to face or phone interview with Derk Hanna (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Geneva’s Assessment Administrator will obtain character references from minister/pastor, friend/peer and someone you have been discipling
- Complete Assessment Questionnaires, including Planting Strategy and Timeline, and supply a Personality Profile and an MP3 of a recent sermon
- If you are married, your wife will need to complete an Assessment Questionnaire as well, as well as us obtaining some references.
You will need to allow between 10 hours to complete the Application Form, online evaluation tools and Assessment Questionnaires. Allow an additional 5-10 hours to complete the planting plan (the time taken depends a lot on how much reading, thinking and planning you’ve already done).
Once you have completed the assessment documents we will arrange for an assessment interview to take place with you and your wife (if applicable). The assessment interview takes about 2.5 hours to complete and will be undertaken by experienced Australian church planters.
Assessment interviews generally take place each year at Multiply, our national conference. At the completion of the interview Geneva Push will provide you with an Assessment Report and recommendations.
What are the different assessment outcomes?
There are four assessment outcomes, as follows:
- Recommended: (Green light) You are ready and able to lead a church plant and should proceed with planting.
- Recommended with condition(s): (Slow down) You have shown an ability to lead a church plant, but need to address one or more specific areas, which can be addressed in six to twelve months.
- Potential with Strong Conditions: (Stop and wait) You have shown potential to be a church planter, but need further development in some specific areas which will take from one to two years to address. Re-apply once conditions are met.
- Not recommended: (Change direction) Specifically, not recommended as a church planter. We believe your gifts and opportunities lie in serving the Lord in another area of ministry.