J.D. Greear is the president of the largest denomination in the US – the Southern Baptists. Its decline has been widely reported in the media, and the same trend is playing out in many denominations here in Australia.
Derek and Scott discuss the goals JD has set to pull the Southern Baptists out of decline, and see what application they might have in an Australian context.
The ‘Plumblines’ of Summit Church:
1. The gospel is not just the diving board; it’s the pool.
2. We judge our success by sending capacity, not seating capacity.
3. The church is not an audience; it’s an army.
4. People are the mission.
5. Prayer doesn’t just fuel the ministry; prayer is the ministry.
6. Live sufficiently, give extravagantly.
7. The local church is God’s “Plan A.”
8. Where trust exists, God moves.
9. The church should reflect the diversity of its community and proclaim the diversity of the kingdom.
10. Stay where you are, serve where you live, be the church in your community.
11. Discipleship happens in relationships.
12. The best ministry ideas are in the congregation.
13. We are led by the Spirit, taught by the Word.
14. When life cuts us, we want to bleed God’s Word.
15. The 1 takes priority over the 99.
16. The question is no longer if you’re called; it’s only where and how.
Not God Enough: Why Your Small God Leads to Big Problems, by J.D. Greear
Above All: The Gospel Is the Source of the Church’s Renewal, by J.D. Greear
This episode brought to you by…